My Code of Conduct
- I will respect the confidentiality of my client’s information, except as otherwise authorized by my client, or as required by law.
- I will obtain agreement from my clients before releasing their names as clients or references, or any other client identifying information.
- I will obtain agreement from the person being coached before releasing information to another person. .
Conflicts of Interest
- I will seek to avoid conflicts between my interests and the interests of my clients.
- Whenever any actual conflict of interest or the potential for a conflict of interest arises, I will openly disclose it and fully discuss with my client how to deal with it in whatever way best serves my client.
- I will disclose to my client all anticipated compensation from third parties that I may receive for referrals of that client.
- I will only barter for services, goods or other non-monetary remuneration if it will not impair the coaching relationship.
Professional Conduct with Clients
- I will be responsible for setting clear, appropriate, and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern any physical contact that I may have with my clients.
- I will construct clear agreements with my clients, and will honour all agreements made in the context of professional coaching relationships.
- I will ensure that, prior to or at the initial session, my coaching client understands the nature of coaching, the bounds of confidentiality, financial arrangements and other terms of the coaching agreement.
- I will accurately identify my qualifications, expertise and experience as a coach.
- I will not intentionally mislead or make false claims about what my client will receive from the coaching process or from me as their coach.
- I will not give my clients or prospective clients information or advice I know or believe to be misleading.
- I will not knowingly exploit any aspect of the coach-client relationship for my personal, professional or monetary advantage or benefit.
- I will respect the client’s right to terminate coaching at any point during the process. I will be alert to indications that the client is no longer benefiting from our coaching relationship.
- If I believe the client would be better served by another coach, or by another resource, I will encourage the client to make a change.
- I will suggest that my clients seek the services of other professionals when deemed appropriate or necessary.
- I will take all reasonable steps to notify the appropriate authorities in the event a client discloses an intention to endanger self or others.